Skip to main content

Welcome! To Le Champsac

Bienvenue! Le Champsac
Home
Hotel B&B
This Month/Events
Functions & Weddings
Menus
About Us
Contact Us
How to find us
Local Interest
Limoges
Richard the Lionheart
Périgord
Attractions
Weather
Links
Site Map

Périgueux 

Founded by the Romans, Vesunna (Périgueux) has been the centre of the Dordogne region for over 2,000 years. Take in views of the old town and ruined amphitheatre from Tour Mataguerre and Cathedrale St-Front, said to have been the inspiration for the Sacre-Coeur in Paris. The tiny squares and narrow streets come alive on market days. Look for winter foiegras and truffle sales.

 

friendly local accomodation at reasonable prices

 

The Chateau de Montbrun

The castle was built in 1179 by Aimery Bruni on his return from the Second Crusade. The Brun family, (Montbrun after 1366), remained owners until 1516. At the start of the Hundred Years' War, the castle was occupied by the English. It was retaken by the French in 1353. At the end of the century it was taken again by the English and partially destroyed. Between 1433 and 1438, square towers were replaced with round towers and the castle took on its present form.

In 1562, Montbrun was attacked by Protestants during the Wars of Religion and although it was not captured a fire raged through the castle.

During the French Revolution, at the instigation of people's representatives Borie and Brival, the castle was pillaged and destroyed and the archives were burned. The property was divided up and sold as national property. Restored in 1871, it suffered a serious fire in 1917. A second restoration was carried out between 1964 and 1966.

The castle is privately owned and run as a hotel. It has been a protected monument historique listed by the French Ministry of Culture since 1946.

more local and hotel information

Steam Train, Limoges to Ussels

Take the summer ‘Train Vapeur’ mountain line 100km from Limoges to, along the picturesque Vienne valley to Eymoutiers, then climbing through forests to the high altitude Plateau de Millevaches. The gorges and scenery are spectacular. Trains run in July and August every year and your journey’s length can be shortened by ending at Meymac or Eymoutiers. Consult Limoges Tourist Office for details.

 

Fishing

The 11,000km of rivers and lakes in Limousin provide some of Europe’s finest fishing - trout and salmon, plus a great variety of coarse fish. At least 12 lakes are open all year and others during the season. The lake at St Suplice Lauriere has carp and pike and day tickets are available at St Suplice town hall.  Limousin has over 2,240km of riverbank fishing including 1,956 of prime trout and salmon water. ‘Maison de l’Eau et de la Peche de la Correze’ at Neuvic organises exhibitions, conferences and fishing courses. Fishing permits ‘cartes de peche’ can be obtained throughout the region at shops, tabacs, campsites and bars.  There are many small hotels around the region for short stays or longer holidays.